Sunday, June 28, 2015

London Calling

After spending a couple of days in London for the first time in 2012 during the summer Olympics, I dreamed about the day I could return and really see the city. I've wanted to attend the British Studies Program (BSP) since I started school at The University of Southern Mississippi. Now, as I'm saying goodbye to my college career and starting my first "big girl" job, I'm in London studying what I love most: journalism.

I was in love with the city before I even stepped off the coach with my bags. Our home for the next month just happens to be close to the River Thames, and within walking distance of the London Eye, Big Ben and so on. In three days we've taken a walking tour of the riverfront, toured Parliament, strolled through Trafalgar Square, popped into a pub and met a few locals and browsed around a market in Southwark.

Although I've visited before, the cultural differences still hit me after stepping off the plane. The South is known for hospitality. Think about it. When you go anywhere in Small Town, Mississippi, typically everyone smiles, holds the door and offers a "how are you?" or "good to see you." I can bet you don't get that much here. Walking down the street no one offers a smile and kind greeting.

The locals at the pub had a lot to say about what they thought about Mississippians based on what they've seen on television and in the news. They asked to hear our best British accent, so we had to hear a British attempt at a southern accent. We got an earful. Not only was the accent an exaggerated version, but the words that accompanied it were shocking. One guy said, "I'm from Mississippi and I hate (various people groups), but I love my guns." I'm not surprised to hear things like that from people back in the U.S., but for that misrepresentation to reach all the way across the pond was shocking.

I must say it has been an interesting few days, and I am looking forward to the next month of London living. Stay tuned for a recap of our trip to The Guardian tomorrow and my first July 4th outside of the U.S.



No comments:

Post a Comment